A Fast Chosen by YHWH
A Fast NOT Chosen by YHWH
- Do fast to release wicked bonds; loosen the tight cords of wickedness
- To untie the cords of the yoke; undo the bands of the yoke
- To let the oppressed go free/exempt
- To tear/break off every yoke
- To share your bread/food with the hungry
- To bring the homeless poor, who are cast out, into your home
- To cover the naked when you see them, and not hide yourself from your own flesh
*THEN your light will break forth like the dawn, and your/their healing will spring up speedily.
*Your righteousness will go before you, the esteem of YHWH would be your rear guard.
*When you call or cry out, He will answer and say “here I am”.
*IF you take away the yoke from your midst, the pointing of the finger, & the speaking of unrighteousness, & extend your being to the hungry, & satisfy the afflicted being, THEN your light shall dawn in the darkness, and your darkness be as noon.
*THEN YHWH would guide you continually, and satisfy your being in drought, and strengthen your bones. And you shall be like a watered garden, and like a spring of water, whose waters do not fail.
- Don’t seek your own pleasure
- Don’t make full use of others
- Don’t look for opportunities to strike others or cause arguments; or fast for strife and contention
- Don’t fast to make your voice heard
*Fasting is not a time for bowing one’s head or spreading out sackcloth and ashes.
*”Do you call this a fast, and an acceptable day to YHWH?” (v. 5)
Preparing for a Fast:
**although sometimes I feel led to fast the minute I receive instruction to do so, leaving not much time or thought to plan ahead physically. Always make time for prayer and seek Him though, especially during a fast :).
- Create a list of food/drink you are able to have (if any) during your fast.
- For instance, sugar/sweetened foods or drinks are almost always something I fast because they are difficult for me to abstain from. So, my list of things to have would consist of like greens, unsweetened tea, etcetera– just no fruits or juices (because those are what I go for when I fast sweets, not thinking that fructose can satisfy that craving as well haha)
- Plan accordingly with your grocery list and consider eating things that will go bad before your fast begins that you know you will not eat during your fast.
- For example, I would not purchase (purchase less of rather) sweets or fruit (unless you need that challenge of being tempted at home or someone in our household eats those anyway).
- Write down the reasons you are fasting, so you are focused on the Spirit and not distracted by your flesh wanting everything it shouldn’t have. Don’t be afraid to get creative 🙂
- I hide post-it notes that only I see (in a personal notebook, lunch bag, night stand, etc.) to help me fill up on His Word and the things I am asking for or fighting against in prayer, rather than physical food.
*Remember you do not want to let others know you are fasting or act in a way that you are being afflicted (head down, long face, sighs, react in anger, etc. –Just avoid the obvious signs if you can help it). Personally, my past fasts have consisted of eating dinners only, just so that my husband doesn’t think anything of it. There are times I can eat something different than he (like greens, veggies, etc.) as well. I’m not saying all this to lie to your husband by not telling him things, but only tell him of your fast if necessary or feel that he should be aware. (There’s times where he brings home ice cream for me or whatever else I enjoy to eat while I’m fasting too, so sometimes I feel it is necessary to at least let the person who is closest to you know ahead of time.)
May YHWH bless you and keep you as you live for Him!
Fill yourself up 🙂